Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Owl-Themed Baby Shower


A few months ago, my family and my sister's husband's family threw one of my sisters a baby shower.  I was in charge of the cake and cupcakes.  I knew my sister's nursery was going to have owls and was going to have grey and pink.  So, I wanted to make her desserts that reflected that.


I visited my local cake supply store and found these great owl lollipop molds.  I decided I was going to use it to make little chocolate owls as cupcake toppers.  They turned out pretty cute.  For the owl, I used CK brand Candy Writers.  They come in a bunch of different colors.  You warm the Candy Writers in warm water and then squeeze the chocolate into the mold.  I then used regular Wilton Candy Melts for the white chocolate part.


For the cake, I knew I wanted to use fondant.  I decided to make it simple with just an owl sitting on a branch on top of the cake.  I was going to make a bunch of leaf shapes and put it around the sides of the cake, but ran out of time.  So, I just wrapped the cake with some pink ribbon.  It was quick and easy and helped to hide my bad cutting of the fondant!  I used Satin Ice brand white fondant to cover the cake and then used Duff brand colored fondant to make the branch and owl.  I used a tulip shaped cookie cutter to make the owl, since I didn't have an owl shaped one.


I wasn't too happy with how the cake looked, but everyone loved it.  The cake was pretty tasty, too.  It was red velvet with cream cheese icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment