Pages

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Golden Sugar Cookies


Yesterday, I threw my son a pirate party for his 3rd birthday.  He's a big fan of the "Jake and the Neverland Pirates" show on Disney Jr and just pirates in general.

I bought the kids pirate swords and eye patches and we decorated pirate hats.  I also bought pirate temporary tattoos, but forgot to use them!

To go with the pirate theme, I wanted to make some cookies.  I thought it would be fun to make cookies that looked like gold coins.  But, I didn't have much time.  Originally, I was going to roll out sugar cookie dough, cut out round shapes and decorate them with tinted royal icing.  But, since I didn't get to start making these until the night before the party, I decided to just use gold sprinkles to make them sparkly.

I used my favorite sugar cookie dough recipe, which you can find here on the Real Simple Magazine website.  After the dough chilled for a few hours, I started breaking off pieces and rolling them into small balls.

To make them look like gold coins, I used Wilton Gold Pearilized Sugar.  After pouring some of the sugar into a bowl, I rolled the cookie dough in the sugar.  Then, I placed it on a cookie sheet, covered with parchment paper.  I tried to flatten the balls a little, in hopes they'd look more like coins once they baked.


Here's what they looked like before they baked.


I had hoped they'd flatten out as they baked, but they pretty much looked the same coming out of the oven as they did going in.  So, my coins looked more like gold nuggets.  =\  Oh well, they still tasted good, though!  A lot like shortbread.


No comments:

Post a Comment